Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Day Traversing the Countryside

Yesterday we set out on a short day trip to visit the city of Obidos. One member pictured above that you may not recognize is Kathy, next whom I am standing. Kathy is from Terence's home in California and is here for 2 1/2 weeks to serve the team and missionaries how ever she can. Currently her project is organizing Ron Landers office.
Obidos is a small walled city, pretty famous here in Portugal. Throughout its history many members of Portuguese royalty have resided within its walls from time to time.

We started our time in Obidos walking along the wall. It was a beautiful day for our time there and from the wall we could get great views of the homes and churches within the city walls as well as the countryside that surrounded us.

Inside the walls was a nice little town with shops, cafes, Bed & Breakfasts, and private residences. Like most of Portugal, the buildings are very close if not connected to one another and the streets are all cobblestone.

While you may think these streets are made for walkin' we actually encountered a surprising amount of cars while walking around town.


The castle now houses a Bed & Breakfast and much of it is not open to the general public.
Me and Bri (the better half of Bobb & Bri - no offense Bobb) - the wall behind us surrounds the entire city of Obidos.

This is my favorite picture of the day. The weather in Portugal has been beautiful of late and with the flowers blooming it is definitely springtime. I had fun taking different pictures of all the various flowers (mostly for my mom) and this one is simply my favorite because of how it turned out.
Thanks for sharing with me in the beautiful day I spent with my team yesterday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi dear
It was great to talk to you tonight. I do love the flowers! God is so good to give us pictures of new life here on earth every spring. He does bring life and beauty out of the dirt and cold of winter! I too have flowers blooming in the backyard!
Love,
Mom

Carla said...

It's great to hear from you, Heidi, and see some new posts on your blog! Today and tomorrow Nathan is up skiing with Mike and your dad and I'm staying here, faithfully continuing to make appearances at work and school. (Spring break was definitely too short.) Great flower picture! I bet it's getting really pretty over there!