Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanks Giving Dinner - TaKe TwO!


This past Wednesday I spent at the Learning Center. This is a homeschooling co-op where I volunteer every Friday. I was there this Wednesday for the school's Thanks Giving celebration. A Thanks Giving lunch was to be the highlight of the day, the meal was prepared and provided by the parents and students. One student even made a cheesecake herself to bring - it was delicious!

I was in charge of planning some harvest games for the day. I really had no idea the amount of "improvising" and "substitutions" that would have to be made, there are just not man "harvesty" things available here in Portugal. One of my cleaver ideas did manage to backfire. Since futebol is huge here in Portugal I thought it an extremely cleaver idea to play a little gourd futebol. Well what I thought was tremendously cleaver became quite the opposite when I looked at my supplies and I had no gourds but potatos instead! Yes, that's right potatos! I am not sure if there are truly no gourds in the greater Lisboa area but I do know that this games was looking far less inviting to even me! While there were many challenges that day we did manage to make carmel apples, which I think were enjoyed by all.

All-in-all it was a nice break from the normal school day for all of the students and another Thanks Giving Dinner for...and counting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi, Your Thanksgiving day sounde great. The only thing missing is nnodles!! I had a busy day - went for my walk with a friend at 8:00 am, than went to service at our church, then had two phone calls, then went to some friendsfor lunch, then had some more phone calls, then went to another friend's house for finger fod and fellowship. Saturday I was gone all day to Hudson, FL to the Word of Life presentation of Sights and Sounds of Christmas. It was good.