Monday, December 04, 2006

An Afternoon in the Baixa


Saturday afternoon I met up with Marj from my Portuguese language class in the Baixa Chiado (pronounced By-sha She-a-due) area of Lisbon. She is from Holland and also attended our Thanks Giving dinner. I had such a wonderful time getting to know her better, taking in the sights, and doing a little shopping. We also got to sit and get to know one another over a cup of coffee. I of course played 20 questions but I don't think she minded.
Portugal goes all out for Christmas and so there are Christmas lights EVERYWHERE. The Baixa area is no different and actually has one Christmas Decoration that is Portugal's pride and joy. Portugal proudly lights Europe's largest Christmas tree every year. This Christmas tree is located in the Baixa area and I was able to enjoy taking in all of the various Christmas lights as well as this unusual "tree" toward the end of Marj and my visit to Baixa.
You see the funny thing about Christmas trees and Portugal is that they really don't have a high supply of pine trees, certainly NOT one the size pictured above. As a result they must improvise and so Europe's largest Christmas tree is actually not a tree at all. Rather, it is a big metal-lighted-tree-like-shape in the middle of a downtown square. Not only is this "Europe's Largest Christmas Tree" metal but the lights are on an almost 4 minute patterned cycle - watch out NY City and DC, Portugal's upping the anti!
Ok, in all seriousness...while I do not fully understand the whole big metal-lighted-tree-like-shape Portugal does put up some beautiful displays of Christmas lights and it has been a wonderful treat to start off this season taking in a few of the displays. So, yes it was a great day...shopping, good sights, coffee and chatting with a friend. Who could ask for more?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear they have Christmas in Portugal. Your mom and aunt Deb were here to put up som Christmas decor at my house. I bought a fibre optictree (32") this year. It is really pretty at night. Some friends helped decorate the gazebo out in front of my house so it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. I will be going out for christmas eve, Christmas breakfast and Christmas dinner! Woe is me.
Will be praying for your requests. sounds pretty serious!
Love