Sunday, December 17, 2006

Picture This...

Picture this, americans sitting in their Portuguese church trying to follow the sermon when they begin to hear words like "americana" and "english" mixed in the the portuguese. Soon it becomes clear that they are being asked to prepare something in english for the service next week. So like any good foriegners they smile and shake their heads in agreement. You see this particular service is small and they figure, no problem we can prepare something suitable for a congregation this size!

So, that was Lisa and I last Sunday. Now fast forward today, Lisa and I came prepared to read scripture and share some Christmas Carols. Lisa is parking the car and I walk into church, smiling and thinking to myself "man, there are an awful lot of people here today." Bobb and Bri were joining us today and I look at them and say, "there must not have been a morning service, it looks like the entire church is here tonight." The pastor comes over and talks to me and asks if we have something prepared. I tell him yes but that he didn't tell us this was a combined service, he laughs and says, "Don't worry, its just a big family."

As the service begins we then realize this is not just a normal service but their Christmas program. Both of us just sat there wondering how our little portion would fit with the rest of the service and how we would know when to come to the front. I kept just trying to listen for the words "americana" and "english" but they never came. Finally, the pastor said in english and another pastor behind us also told us it was now our time. We quickly came to the front and Lisa shared how sometimes she worrys about the trials God sends her way but God reminds her of that quiet night long ago (translated by Martha). I sang a verse of Silent Night. Lisa read a portion of the Christmas story and I sang a verse of Joy to the World. Lisa closes by sharing that God reminds her to remember the gift of His Son and the joy that He has brought to us.

God is good and though there were many unexpected curve balls we were able to share just a little bit from our hearts through our gifts and remind ourselves and others that even when there are curve balls in real life there is joy that can be found in the birth of our Savior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job! It sounds like you had prepared a good portion for the program. Are you happy you are not in the blizzard in Colorado? We had 84 here today. I had company just as I was getting ready to go swimming so didn't make it to the pool!

Love you lots.