Eu chamo-me Heidi, Tenho 28 anos, Sou Americana, e moro em Lisboa. My name is Heidi, I am 28 years old, I am American, I live in Lisboa.
Yes, that was what we were told to say and fill in the blank straight off in our very first language class last night. Our teacher put the words on the board with masculine and feminine endings as well as the words if you wished to introduce someone sitting next two you. Our assignment was to figure out how to put it all together and introduce ourselves or someone sitting next to us. Needless to say I sat there wondering if I had come to the wrong class. I was like, I don't know ANYTHING...can this really be the beginners class????
Initially she asked for volunteers but then proceeded to read of the class roster. I knew my name was in the mddle of the list and just sat there waiting. She got to Lisa and then Terence...but never called me. Crisis averted. We moved onto the alphabet (why that was not done first I have no idea) and the sounds of the letters. Again she called on Lisa by name. Now I have a theory on this. You see the name Lisa is an easy one to pronounce for the portuguese. While the name Heidi doesn't seem difficult upon its first examination here in the land of Portugal the letter "H" is a bit more difficult. The portuguese language does not have the same "H" sound and thus my name has been difficult for people to pronounce. I think our little 'ole teacher skipped me as to not have to pronounce my name.
Well theories aside please be in prayer for Lisa, Terrence, Bobb, Bri and I regarding our language study. Portuguese is a difficult language and has many different sounds than in english. We will need to be diligent in our studies and practice. I know for myself I cannot do this on my own and your prayer covering is so greatly appreciated.
4 comments:
it's americana, not americano, cause you're a girl (female). Don't worry it's hard for portuguese people so i immagine it's even harder for you guys.But you can always ask me (your portuguese roommate). andreia
Man, I knew I would get something wrong! Thanks Roomie, I am going to correct that right now:)
Hi -i am finally home after going to CO and IA spending an extra week at WI dells with a couple of frineds. It was dcold and there was no color!! Had a good flight home Monday. Arrived here at 11:00 pm! Had a nice surprise - they had installed my kitchen carpet!! I will try to keep it clean until you get home and come to see me!
i sure will pray for you as you try to learn this language! Sign language is considered a foreign language. I worked on it for two years before I signed. One of the worst mistakes I ever made was signing horse instead of devil!!
Love you and missed checking your happenings while I was gone. Will get back in the groove now!
Wooo! You lucked out!
Post a Comment