Well unlike Saturday we were not going to be early, we were actually very late (yes I realize you are not surprised). It was Sunday morning and we were finally ready for church and I was backing the car out when a policeman walked up and began talking to us in Portuguese. I of course stayed calm and collected, not expecting a worst case scenario in the least. Ok, so maybe that's not exactly how it went down, I actually immediately began to wonder if he wanted to see my passport, Drivers License, Insurance...any and ALL paperwork a foreigner is SUPPOSED to have...and saying to myself, NOT NOW!
We kept asking him to speak to us in english but he would not, finally after we sat in the car for a minute or two wandering what to do he spoke in english and asked us to move the car back into the driveway. I did and it was then that he decided to tell us why. It was not to examine any paperwork but rather because there was a bike race coming our way. He told us that when it was ok for us to leave he would let us know. Within minutes some riders passed and he let us out of the driveway and we were able to head onto church. Well it wasn't exactly as easy as all that.
We were supposed to pick up two girls, Carla & Daisha at PBI to attend church with us. Carla was not feeling well so Daisha joined us and we were on our way, and making good time too. We were within eye shot of our next round-a-bout when traffic was at a standstill. We waited, and waited, and waited some more. People began to turn around and try to take alternate routes. A woman in front of us turned around and Daisha said she looked familiar...I made a joke (surprise) and we WAITED some more. Finally part of the bike race came through the round-a-bout and we were on our way again. We had now been delayed twice by the bike race.
As we proceeded we reached a place where two roads were supposed to merge together, I had the right of way (however much that means in Europe) but I looked over and in the next car was that same woman Daisha had recognized. I let her in and we all joked that she too was on her way to church also. As we proceeded and Daisha continued to give me directions it turned into...just turn where that lady did or follow that lady. The funny thing is, we followed her all the way to church - BOY, am I glad I let her merge! :)
We were sure that we were late, because contrary to other churches in Portugal this one is supposed to start ontime. Well as we entered the sanctuary they were just starting...see I really am not late ALL the time! The entire service was in Portuguese, which I enjoyed but at the same time I began to realize just how lonely it is to be somewhere and not understand the language. Many of the songs I could recognize from the music and tried to follow along and sing the words in Portuguese, yes the emphisis is on TRIED. The sermon on the other hand was quite difficult to follow. I really look forward to starting language school and hope that my understanding will increase quickly even if my ability to speak is slow.
So that was my BiG adventure on my way to church. I do hope that it is not repeated, however I am a little nervous as I have learned that Sunday's are biking days and usually have a race.
3 comments:
What a day! I have it so simple to just walk out the door and walk to church in about five minutes. You talked about the lonliness you feel in a group of people when you do not understand the language. I learned that in working with the deaf. If there are deaf in the group and you do not interpret what is being said they think people are talking about them. When we were in France we stayed in a home of very educated French who knew Englis. Do you think they would talk to us in English? No way. i finally excused myself and went to bed!!
Have a good day.
Love you lots
Grandma
Wow, it sounds like quite the adventure! You know whats funny? I realized that the whole time I was reading that, I was just waiting for the moment that Gods hand would be seen. Thats the funny thing about being a christian, we always look for the good in everything.
love ya tons!
Sapphira <3
During my time in Jerusalem Christians from all over the world would worship at the big Baptist church. Everyone had to walk, no cars on the street on sabbath. Few were Baptist, all sang in thier own language. Confusing yes, but beautiful was the only way to describe it.
Bill Fallert
Post a Comment