Sunday evening a group of us on the team decided to attend the evening festivities at the Loures (pronounced Lor-esh) Snail Festival. Yes, there is a huge tent with tables where people order plates of snails and sit and eat them. No, I did not eat any...well not yet at least :)We were all standing around waiting for a table, and I think many of us would have at least tried them, but it was taking too long so we decided to walk around the grounds. There was an area with booths, many people were selling their creations. The creations were of all types, paintings, jewelry, shoes, sculptures, and many others. We walked around for a while but then proceeded into a gym area were the concert of the evening was to take place, this was the reason many of us had come that night.
The concert was of Fado (Pronounced Fa-Doo), this is a style of acustic music and is played with an acustic guitar and another instrument of which I do not know the name. These musicians play the entire time while various singers come out and each sing two songs kind of in folk style. This kind of music is quite popular here in the Portuguese culture and as I looked around the crowd there were people of all ages there in attendance. Quite the experience and introduction to an aspect of culture here in Portugal.
2 comments:
Hi Heidi:
I am glad you made it to Portugal, and Spain, I will keep praying for you. Sorry you cannot find a starbucks in portugal, maybe you should practice drinking more tea or get the recipe for starbucks. I pray that God keeps watching out for you and I thank Him for watching out for you so far.
Love Yvonne Lewis
Heidi,
Stop being a pokey snail and eat some snails! :) OK, maybe I am trying to sound like Jeremy but I'm not as funny as him :)
Love you!!!
Molly
Post a Comment