While pondering the greater things in life tonight and NOT sleeping I found that my lovely dog Lyla awoke from her slumber. We have a delightful little couch she likes to sleep on, she at one end and I with my handy computer at the other. She arose and wondered around the living room, into the dinning room for water and back again. All this, very normal indeed. Until, she took interest on the other side of me, behind the rocking chair. My curiosity now raised...
...I glanced over her way to see what had struck her fancy. You see, Lyla likes to torment flies or they like to torment her, I haven't quite figured out which one yet. She is also a master spider hunter, just the other day I saw her paw one to its death right before my eyes. With this at the forefront of my mind I glance her way, nothing. She remarkably lost interest and again accompanied me on the couch, where she now lays sleeping soundly. I on the other hand have tremendous peripheral vision and caught a distinct movement from behind the rocking chair to the area behind the couch where I sit.
Now I am a relatively intelligent woman, I quickly take an inventory of all LIVING things that are SUPPOSED to be in my house. Lyla is sleeping beside me and is too large for that movement just seen. My husband is innocently (used loosely) sleeping upstairs in bed, and again too large. So I begin to rely on my past experiences for explanation. Am I over reacting? Yes, it's happened once or twice before. Though not quickly identified by the average human eye, I am a back woods, U.P. kind of a girl and the thoughts that this evokes are NOT PLEASANT to say the least! I give you two words...SHREW - MOUSE...UGH!!!!!
Yes, that is the next place my mind took me. My heart sank, my pulse raced. I craned my neck to view behind the couch as I sat there, not wishing to place even my little toe on the floor. Nothing. UGH! I began to doubt my eyes, that darn peripheral vision can play tricks on you. But no, I must be sure. With the lights low and my faithful guard dog and protector husband both soundly sleeping I bravely arose from my place of safety on the couch, one foot, two feet and quickly made my way to the garage. Fortunately I had just put away all of our flashlights in the garage and was quickly armed for the investigation.
I cautiously returned to the living room, flashlight in hand. From across the room I shined the light underneath my seat, nothing. I moved the light toward the center of the couch, still nothing. A little further, where the sectional connects there it was! I had to take a step closer, oh no there it was! THERE IT WAS a MOUSE! It's beady little eyes staring back at me, taunting me. Ick! There it was, beady eyes and little tail trying to pretend that it was cute, but I won't be fooled you little monster! I know what you are. You just wait, it's on my little friend.
I set my flashlight down, unsure of what my next move should be. It is far too late to enter into battle tonight and Boris looks as though he is a feisty little monster. No Boris, our altercation will have to wait until the marrow. Sleep well my little beady eyed varmint, for it may be your last!
No comments:
Post a Comment